A quick review of books on customer service shows that the prevailing view is to WOW customers, to knock their socks off with service far beyond what they expect. But Shep Hyken takes a different approach. He says that what will really amaze customers is if you provide consistently above average service – with the emphasis on “consistent.”
“Amazement is not necessarily about “Wow!” levels of service, although sometimes it may be. It is about an all-of-the-time, I-know-I-can-count-on-it, better-than-average experience.”
In Amazement Revolution, Hyken provides seven amazement strategies that companies can implement in order to provide that consistency, which I will list below. But he begins with one very important principle. You have to take care of your employees first!
“To keep external customers happy, you must make sure your employees know that you care about doing what’s right by them, day after day after day. Your employees will in turn care about doing what’s right by the customer.” “Amaze your employees, and they’ll spread the amazement!”
The 7 Amazement Strategies:
- Provide Membership – Shift your mindset to treat the people you serve more like members rather than customers.
- Have Serious Fun – Real FUN in the workplace is determined, not by how many belly laughs your enterprise generates, but by the level of fulfillment it generates in the workforce, the uniqueness it respects in each employee, and the sense of anticipation it creates for the next challenge on the horizon.
- Cultivate Partnerships – Deliver a premium level of service that incorporates active problem-solving and inspires customers to count on and return to your organization.
- Hire Right – Create and implement innovative hiring and retention processes that support your service mission.
- Create a Memorable After-Experience – A positive initial customer experience is only the beginning! Make sure your organization gives people the flexibility to deliver a range of powerful, personalized after-experiences.
- Build Community – Support and inspire both the internal and the external community of evangelists.
- Walk the Walk – Acknowledge, model, and reward adherence to customer-focused values at all levels of the organization.
Does your customer service experience need tweaking, or a complete overhaul? Then you’ll want to hear directly from Shep Hyken as he explains his strategies in detail, and provides case studies from best-in-class companies. Join us on March 8th for our Soundview Live webinar Learn the 7 Customer Amazement Strategies, and bring your questions for Shep.
You can fill your conference room with people to listen in, Free for subscribers and just $59 for all other registrants. You might consider using this as a customer service training session.