Audiences forget up to 90 percent of what you communicate. How can your employees and customers decide to act on your message if they only remember a tenth of it? How do you know which tenth they’ll remember? How will you stay on their minds long enough to spark the action you need? Many experts have offered techniques on how to improve your own memory but not how to influence other people’s memory –– and impact their decisions. Drawing on the latest research in neuroscience and cognitive psychology, Carmen Simon, Ph.D., reveals how to avoid the hazards of random recall and deliver just the right amount of content. In Impossible to Ignore, she shows you how to execute a proven three-step plan for persuasion: create cues that attract attention and connect with your audience’s needs; use memory-influencing variables to control what your audience remembers; and turn today’s intentions into tomorrow’s actions. Whether you’re giving a presentation, conducting a meeting, delivering training, making a sales pitch or creating a marketing campaign, these field-tested techniques will help you develop content that speaks to people’s hearts, stays in their heads and influences their decisions. It’s not just memorable –– it’s Impossible to Ignore.
IN THIS SUMMARY, YOU WILL LEARN
• To view memory from the angle of the future, which is more practical when influencing behavior.
• To use three key steps to influence memory and decisions.
• To create distinct, repeatable messages that your customers won’t forget.
• How to differentiate between expectation and anticipation and why it matters for memorable content.
• How to retrieve memories through narrative techniques.